Your laminate countertop is designed for beauty and durability, however, it can be damaged by abuse or carelessness.
To enjoy the benefit of your countertop year after year here are a few suggestions:
- Clean your countertop with a damp cloth or sponge and a mild soap or detergent. Difficult stains can be removed using a mild household cleaner and a soft bristle brush.
- Never use cleaners containing acid, alkali or sodium hypochlorite.
- Hair, textile and food dyes can cause permanent stains. Wipe up immediately and rinse several times with water.
- Never place pots or dishes directly from the oven or burner on an unprotected laminate surface; such extreme heat can cause cracking or blistering.
- Be careful with electric heat sources such as kettles, skillets, waffle irons, curling irons, etc.
- Avoid ironing or placing a hot iron on laminate surfaces.
- Ceramic and abrasive objects can cause scratching and premature wear.
- Do not chop slice, pound or hammer on a laminate surface. Sharp utensils may slice or scratch the surface. Heavy blows may crack or gouge the surface.
- Do not place lighted cigarettes directly on laminate surfaces.
- Do not flood the laminate surface, especially near seams (mitres, butt joints), since water can penetrate the seam and cause the substrate to swell. Your countertop is water-resistant not waterproof! It is recommended that the seams be sealed with clear non-latex silicone after installation.